Do's & Don'ts
CheckPeople.com makes it easy to do your own background checks for personal safety reasons, or if you're trying to locate lost relatives or friends. However, under the Fair Credit and Reporting Act (FCRA), you are restricted from using CheckPeople.com for certain activities, and it is illegal to use third-party background services such as CheckPeople.com for reasons such as spying on people, identity theft, or contacting people against their wishes.
Read through our Dos and Don'ts below for a handy guide on how you can legally use our easy, intuitive background check service.
Don'ts - Prohibited Uses
- 1. Don't use CheckPeople.com for employment screening, of any kind. You must follow Fair Credit and Reporting Act guidelines for employment screening, including hiring, promotions, or for employee reviews.
- 2. Don't use CheckPeople.com for screening domestic help, including caretakers, nannies, or gardeners. You must follow Fair Credit and Reporting Act guidelines for domestic help employment.
- 3. Don't use CheckPeople.com for tenant screening if you lease or rent residential or commercial property.
- 4. Don't use CheckPeople.com for educational screening or to verify qualifications for scholarships or programs.
- 5. Don't use CheckPeople.com to look up eligibility for insurance programs.
- 6. Don't use CheckPeople.com to determine credit eligibility, for issuing mortgages, or for business transactions.
- 7. Don't use CheckPeople.com to stalk, spy on people, or contact them against their wishes.
- 8. Don't use CheckPeople.com for identity theft of any kind.
Do's - Permitted Uses
- 1. Do use CheckPeople.com to look up a lost love.
- 2. Do use CheckPeople.com to find family members or friends.
- 3. Do use CheckPeople.com to research a potential roommate.
- 4. Do use CheckPeople.com to check out an online date.
- 5. Do use CheckPeople.com to locate addresses for invitations or cards.
- 6. Do use CheckPeople.com to verify buyers for personal online sales and transactions.
- 7. Do use CheckPeople.com to look up public record court documents. It will save you time from going directly to the courts to look up records!
- 8. Do use CheckPeople.com to research your own public records. It's good to know what's out there for your own peace-of-mind!
- 9. Do use CheckPeople.com to learn more about your neighbors.